Patchy hair loss on scalp. What could be this?

Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have some patchy Hair loss on my scalp (On 3-4 areas). I discovered it a month ago. The size of the patch is increasing day by day. Am I going to turn bald completely? Please advice. I have a normal scalp (neither oily nor dry). No Dandruff. I use a mild shampoo twice a week. I take massage one a week with Almond oil.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 21 hours later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query You are suffering from a condition called alopecia areata. The best treatment for this is intra lesion steroid injections given at an interval of 3 weeks. Please XXXXXXX a dermatologist and take the injection. Lotions or oils are not going to help you. Let me know if you have any other doubts. thank you
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 10 hours later
I visited a Dermatologist and advised to take TuGain (Cipla) lotion and a KENACORT (Triamcinolone Acetonide) injection after 15 days. I asked him to give the injection now itself, but he said to take after 15 days. Untill that I need to apply the lotion. I am still not satisfied with his advice. Please suggest.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Details below Detailed Answer: Hello, You can take the injection now itself. Though you can apply tugain, It will help you a bit but it cannot control the disease process. Applying tugain for 15 days and then going for injection does not have any rationale. Let me know if you have any other doubt. Thank you.