Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Painful boil on scrotum. History of unprotected anal sex. Tests showed non-reactive serum VRDL. Do I require HPV test?

Dec 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 4168 Questions
Hi Doctor, I had unprotected anal sex around 9 years ago when I was around 14 years old and It was not even sex as I had got into my partner once and he got into me only once and there was no fluid discharge.Few days later I had a painful boil on my right sac and it went off after a few weeks.After that I never had any kind of skin related issues in my genitals and/or any other issues. To be sure I have not contracted any STD I have visited a Dermatologist and he told I had not got any disease after observation and for my personal satisfaction he advised me to undergo serum VDRL and the result of it was Non Reactive and also HSV II Test - the results of which are yet to come.Still I have not got completely satisfied and faced with doubts about HPV. Can you please suggest me whether do I require a HPV test done and If so where do I get it done in Bengaluru.
Posted Wed, 5 Jun 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Welcome and thanks for posting your query to Healthcare Magic.My self Dr S K Kanodia and will try to provide you the best of information regarding your query.
After reading your query it appears that you are quite stressed regarding sexually transmitted diseases especially warts and herpes. Reading your history you have had only one episode that too almost 9 years back and that too a mere incidence of penetration only. Now before I proceed any further I would like to ask few important in formations from you:
1. Who was the partner, was he known to you and had you seen anything unusual on his penile skin or anal skin ( if you can remember)
2. Have you had any episode of small fluid filled vesicles or small elevated bumps or any ulceration over your anogenital region
3. Any other episode of any type of unprotected sex with anybody.
I hope you would not be bothered to reply above. Waiting for your reply so that I can guide you further.
Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology & STD)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Painful boil on scrotum. History of unprotected anal sex. Tests showed non-reactive serum VRDL. Do I require HPV test? 22 hours later
Hi Doctor,
Thanks for your reply mail and I would like to clarify the questions posted.

1. I dont remember his penile/anal skin to have any unusual things but I am still not sure whether he had contracted or not.

2. I had a painful boil on my right sac of which there is still a small after XXXXXXX left like a mole on my sac.

3. That was the one episode that happened so far and I didnt had encountered any such incident later on in my life.

As for my query about HPV, I am a bit afraid that how to even diagnose it.Requesting you to provide your valuable inputs to me.

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 11 hours later
Welcome again young man. After reading your reply I would first and foremost say you to relax and relieve all your tensions regarding any possibility of sexually transmitted disease in yourself and even for warts or at the highest even for HIV.
Now to scientifically explain the whole situation in detail:
1. Any sexually transmitted disease has its own incubation period which means exposure of an individual to suspected person to appearance of clinical symptoms (simply meaning getting the entry or exposure of the microbial agent whether bacteria or virus to the manifestation of clinical symptoms). Now for the simple sexually transmitted diseases like warts, gonorrhea or others the incubation period is from few days to up few weeks. Even for the more problematic conditions like syphilis- it is up to 3 months and to say for most serious of all HIV it is highest of few months to few years. In your case my dear friend it is 9 long years since the exposure and you have not had any episode of anything relevant to any of sexually transmitted diseases. Even your boil problem is also not a related thing. So no clinical evidence of any problem related t o sexually transmitted diseases.
2. As I asked you for any suspected lesion in the other person, the history for same is also insignificant.
3. With above of all you have not had any episode of unprotected sex later than that also. So no chance of getting any exposure to the microbial agents ( any related virus or bacteria). So the very important of the advice to you is kindly do not waste your money in unnecessary testing.
4. Even if you want to get tested then it can be done by DNA PCR which in my sense would not be of any significance in yourself. HPV or we say human papilloma virus causes viral warts. Viral warts which clinically manifests as small verrucous (acuminate or multiple thorn like) beads. To say importantly it can be diagnosed on mere clinical grounds by looking at the lesion. For genital wart we never go for any tests per say but if there is some confusion in some growth where the picture is altered or for research purpose we go for the testing by DNA PCR of the affected tissue only that is from the growth. As you do not have any sort of growth in or around genital area so also you try and understand that it is impractical and injustice to suggest you any sort of tests for HPV or even for any sort of sexually transmitted diseases.
Lastly I advise you to live a productive life and engage yourself in creative activity and stop thinking anything related to it and should forget the incidence like a bad dream which you should not remember again. I whole heartedly welcome you if you have any sort of queries regarding this or any of skin or genitals problems in future also. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health.
Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
(MD- Dermatology & STD)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor