Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
124 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Pain in the jaw, neck and head. Diagnosed with synovial fluid in the jaw joint. History of osteoporosis. Treatment options without surgery?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1975
Answered : 1329 Questions
Since more than two months my mother is suffering from a pain around the left ear, the pain extending to the jaw, the neck and the head area. We have consulted many doctors who were not able to diagnose it, but recently one doctor advised blood test and based on the test report he has analyzed the problem as increase of synovial fluid in the jaw joint (temporomandibular joint) and has suggested surgery to cure the same.
We do not want to undergo surgery, pls advise. The pain is continuous and it hurts to chew and even yawn.
She has medical record of osteoporosis. Also she had a cataract operation in the right eye seven months back.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 10 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

As I understand, your mother have pain on the left side of the face and temporal area and also have osteoporosis and have undergone cataract in the right eye, and dental fillings.

I have gone through the reports provided by you. Your X-ray suggests osteoarthritis of TMJ (Temporomandibular joint). Haemoglobin is less and ESR is high. Raised ESR could be due to less haemoglobin also, but even after giving consideration to that, raised ESR indicates inflammation.

Your RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis) factor is negative indicating there is no other cause for it.

I would suggest you take an anti-inflammatory drug along with an acidity medicine and high dose of B-complex for 15 days.

I hope your mother is on calcium and vitamin-D supplements. I am presuming your doctor has already given an antibiotic course (unfortunately, I was not able to understand his prescription).

You can get MRI of TMJ Joint to confirm the arthritic changes as suggested by your doctor. That will also help in decision making. Surgery should be considered only if adequate medical treatment has not helped.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor