Pain in tailbone area and small hair found. Is it safe to pluck the hair out if it is a polinidal cyst?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Wed, 9 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: I just went to the doctor to get some tailbone pain checked and she said she saw a small hair there. It is not infected. Is it safe to just pluck the hair out if it is a polinidal cyst?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

If it is pilonidal cyst and is not infected, no medical treatment is needed.

Keep the area around the cyst clean and dry. Use an antibacterial soap to wash the area. You can keep the area cleared of hair by shaving, using a hair-removing lotion. This reduces the chance of hair entering the cyst and contributing to infection.

Hope this information helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan