Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Pain in lower right and upper back, bulging discs in lower back. Any ideas ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 926 Questions
I have ongoing pain in my lower right back in or just above buttock and also pain in upper back also on right . I have a bulging disc in my lower back but not sure where exactly (am due to see a specialist in 3 weeks) but this pain is really bothering me and i also am due to get a colonoscopy soon any ideas
Posted Thu, 12 Jul 2012 in Back Pain
Follow-up: Pain in lower right and upper back, bulging discs in lower back. Any ideas ? 1 hour later
I will be seeing an orthapaedic surgeon in 3 weeks for my disc but would a rheumatologist be better?
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 1 hour later
Hello there,

Thanks for writing in.

I would suggest you apply some Diclofenac gel(pain relief gel) ,just apply it gently on the back, do not massage into it.After 15 minutes, apply hot fomentation to the area.Do this three times a day. If the pain is not relieved, you could try Tylenol 500mg for pain relief.

Do not lift heavy weights /or do any strenuous activity which will increase the stress on the back. Maintain good posture.

I would say it is better to visit an orthopaedic surgeon .

Hope this helps.I will be happy to answer any further queries you might have.

Have a great day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor