Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Overweight,, diabetic with high fasting glucose levels. Refused to medical help. What to do?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 4036 Questions
Partner - male, 71, hypertensive, overweight, bottle of red per day has fasting glucose of 283 today (yesterday 281, day before 240). Refuses to consult medical profession. Any tips?
Posted Sun, 1 Jul 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

I am sorry but he has to consult a doctor.

Fasting sugar of 283 is very high, as you should know normal fasting sugar is up to 110 mg/dl.

Again he is not taking any medicines for hypertension.

He is having many risk factors for cardiac diseases and other related diseases like

>Uncontrolled diabetes

He needs proper medical evaluation including some blood tests, EKG, X XXXXXXX chest etc. to know exact reason for his cough and discoloration of toes.

Please do not ignore this and take him to doctor.

In mean time please do following which should do some help.

>Avoid sugar in diet. Do not give fruit juices, sweets
>Give him light diet; avoid high dense foods XXXXXXX in calories
>Limit intake of alcohol
>Please ask him stop smoking or at least reduce it.
>Do not allow too much of exertion
>Ask to him to walk for some time in house if he is comfortable with it. This will at least burn some calories and lower down the sugar
>Inspect his feet on regular basis.

As advised earlier visit to a doctor is must. You can take help from his friends, your relatives to convenience him for this.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to write again if you have some more queries, in case you do not have more queries please accept the answer.



Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Diabetologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor