Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

Overweight. Have swollen legs and hands. Looking homeopathy medicine to reduce weight

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1966
Answered : 4506 Questions
Good evening doctor. am thank ful for your interest.
Am overweight and am searching for a good medicine to reduce my weight. I have tried with less caloried food and good exercises. still am at 85. my age is 40 and am a busy banker heading a branch. i keep travelling in the morning and evening to reach my branch . this travel is for 2 hours daily by bus. My hands and legs get swollen by this. I need a good remedy in homeopathy or siddha for this. pl
Posted Sun, 3 Feb 2013 in Weight Loss
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 2 hours later
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Weight is like bank account.
As a banker, you know better – the account grows when you withdraw less (Cut down unnecessary physical work) and/or you deposit more (eat more).

For weight reduction, there is NO OFFICIALLY APPROVED OR SAFE MEDICINE without side effects.

You have to aim for slow and steady reduction – Up to 2 KG in a week, is generally safe.
You have to reduce the QUANTITY of your food and change the QUALITY too.
It is not possible to explain or understand the nuances on a single occasion.
To start with, reduce the amount to one third of what you are presently taking. Avoid all fats – they have double the energy of carbohydrates.

You should see a good DIETICIAN - One generally needs SEVERAL sessions, to master concepts of calories, nutritional values, biological value, vitamins, minerals and so on.

Strict diet is the most important factor.
People tend to underestimate what they eat – both quantity and quality wise.
Irrespective of age and occupation, forgetting is very common.
Snacking is generally the worst offender and usually forgotten.
Writing down each item and its weight / and calculating their value is the definite way for calorie count – That is where the dietician helps.
     Exercise helps But you need to do really severe and prolonged exercise – several hours.
Start half an hour a day and slowly step up every week.
Its role is however is limited. For example, in walking 1 kilometre, one spends 1 Calorie per kilogram of his body weight! A cup of rice or an average bar of chocolate has approximately 200 calories. A treadmill may help. The ideal solution is to get yourself enrolled in a Gym and have a supervised program.
Exercise for exercise sake alone is not enough.
Life style change is necessary to expend the energy.
Daily activities definitely count.
The very fact you are worried - shows you have the motivation.
With less food and more exercise, you WILL achieve your goal.

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Overweight. Have swollen legs and hands. Looking homeopathy medicine to reduce weight 11 hours later
Dear sir

kindly give me a solution for legs and palms getting swollen in the evenings.
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 3 hours later

From your description alone, it is difficult to derive a cause for your swelling.
It needs to be physically examined -

It may be water retention - it pits on mild pressure. If it is just water, it could be from weakness of valves of the veins...but it is not usual in the hands. In the evenings only is due to hydrostatic pressure from standing - it is called dependent. Rarely the vein could have been obstructed. A Doppler study is necessary to diagnosis. If there are no clues - heart, kidney and liver function need evaluation. You are young and these are less likely.

It may be only subcutaneous fat. Fat gets deposited in most areas - especially below the skin. It is common in hands, feet and abdomen, because the skin is loose in these areas. This is part of generalised obesity - often, this is thought to be swelling. It is not real swelling.

Proper solution depends on proper diagnosis.
Proper diagnosis needs physical examination and/or investigation
An Internist (Physician - MD or DNB in General Medicine) will guide well.

All the best
God bless you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor