Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Overweight. Have mild bronchitis, border line high RBC count and hemoglobin. Any thoughts?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1986
Answered : 458 Questions
I have border line high RBC count and haemoglobin, borderline high mean corspular volume and low Vitamin B12. All other are in range. I am overweigyt(95Kg, 177cm). Have mild brochintis. What can be problems.
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Nirmala P 5 hours later
Thanks for asking in Health care Magic.

Nomal reference values of RBC is 4.5 to 6.5 million / L. Hemoglobin is 13.5 to 18 g/dl and MCV is 76 to 96.

MCV is increased in many conditions. Smoking, lung disease, emphysema are among them. These can also cause bronchitis.

Your blood picture signifies Megaloblastic anemia due to secretion of intrinsic factor needed for absorption of vitamin B 12 from intestine. B 12 deficiency is also common in elderly people.

The bone marrow is hypercellular with an accumulation of magaloblastic cells. Your peripheral blood smear will help to arrive at the diagnosis. Absence of paresthesia (pain or altered sensation in the nerve) indicates that there are no neurological abnormalities for you which is usually associated with B12 deficiency.

In case of Pernecious anemia the treatment is Hydroxycobalamin injections daily for 2 weeks followed by once a month injections. Eggs, liver and dairy products are XXXXXXX sources of vitamin B12.

I hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor