On thyroid medication. Should I take the medicines life long?
Duration Depends on Thyroid Pathology
Greetings of the day
Dear Ms Deblovesvic
The duration of taking thyroid medicine depends on type of thyroid pathology. If there has been Hypothyroidism that is low thyroid hormone due to destruction of thyroid gland because of autoimmunity or inflammation, the duration of taking thyroid hormone is usually lifelong.
I would also like to bring to your kind notice that supplemental doses of thyroid hormone given for longer duration does not cause ill effects on the body.
I hope i have cleared your doubt, in case you require any other clarification kindly get back to me.
Wishing you a healthy life ahead.
Dr Deepak Kishore
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- On thyroid medication should i take the medicines life long
- Taking bp medication life long
- Late period when taking thyroid medication
- Taking metabolism enhancers with thyroid medication
- Taking thyroid medication chances for pregnancy
- What food should i avoid while taking thyroid medication
- What medications should on take for flu
- Should i take medication for osteoporosis
- Done with thyroid test what should be the medication
- Why should i take thyroid medication during pregnancy
- CT scan showed wide spread cancer. Having mass in esophagus. Should...
- Had salmonella and having symptoms of nausea and light headedness. Have...
- Red crystallized object in stool. Pain in left rib cage and blood in...
- Bruise on left buttock, soreness in left elbow and shortness of breath...
- On thyroid medication. Should I take the medicines life long?
- How long does it take to show symptoms of HVP?
- Having red lines on hand. What do you suggest?
- Have dark spots on the head of penis. Was treated with cortisone cream....
- White spots on legs. What could be this?
- Have swollen hives on hip. Took clartin. have done allergy blood work