On obimet sr 500 due to high insulin. Safe to conceive while on obimet sr?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Question: Hi Doctor,

My doctor has given me obimet sr 500 3 tab dailyfor two months due to high insulin in my body. I am planning to conceive so is it ok with this medicine is it safe to use obimet sr 500 during pregnancy or it willcreate problmwith fertility ? what would happen If I do not take obimet 500 ? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 26 minutes later

Obimet sr 500 contains metformin. Which is generally considered as safe drug in pregnancy.
It belongs to category B drugs in pregnancy according to FDA. Means animal studies showed that it will not cause any harm to the fetus but sufficient human studies are lacking.
So as benefits over weigh risks here you can use the medicine.
You should not stop taking the drug as it can lead to high glucose levels in the body, insulin resistance etc. Which can affect fertility and also general health.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.