Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Noticed swollen, red and bruise spot on thigh. Looks like varicose veins. Should I go for test for check up?

Jan 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1658 Questions
I asked a question 4 days ago when a spot on my inner, upper right thigh was suddenly showing signs of bruising, swelling and redness. There was a specific point of pain that seemed to have a couple bumps under the surface, that seemed different than my varicose veins. I saw a local physician who quickly gave me antibiotics and sent me away but I am concerned that there is a clot there - the physician didn't seem to be concerned about getting it checked. Is there a way I can see the local specialist or get an ultrasound if I don't have a referral? Am I being overly concerned? I don't have much time to wait in an office bc I have 5 kids under 4yrs.

Posted Thu, 16 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 10 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
1) Do you have local injury?
2) If no, then there is possibility of abscess at the inner aspect of right thigh. Presence of bruising, swelling and redness also favors the possibility of abscess.
3) Yes, its true..antibiotics are the only treatment for this situation.
4) You should consult with physician/ surgeon. Surgeon may do incision & drainage, if needed.
5) In case of simple abscess, there is no need of Ultrasound imaging. USG may be advised by physician/ surgeon once the possibility of abscess has been ruled out.
6) Varicose veins doesn't cause local swelling, redness because in such case swelling of right leg also occurs so the possibility of varicose veins is negligible.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Noticed swollen, red and bruise spot on thigh. Looks like varicose veins. Should I go for test for check up? 1 hour later
Sorry I didn't give more details - the skin is not broken, and people keep telling me I probably have a clot and should check it out so it doesn't cause a stroke. That's my only concern, I don't want a potential clot to break free and cause problems. Should I be concerned if it is a clot? Should I push to go get an ultrasound and see another doctor ASAP?

Thanks for your time,
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 18 minutes later
Clot at any level in body cause obstruction of blood flow and cause swelling of lower limb, which is not applicable in your case.
So considering your all details, your problem appears to be abscess not a clot.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor