Noticed swelling in ear canal, found bumps and pus after squeezing. What's wrong?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: ear infection?my wife has had an earache for a week,we noticed swelling at the canal opening,today she found a bump just inside the canal opening that resembled a pimple,she squeezed it to see if it would pop and it started leaking yellow puss,i hope you can help me find out whats wrong
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Hi

Thanks for the query

Your wife is suffering from a condition of the external ear known as 'otitis externa' or 'swimmers's ear'. The pus filled sac is called the abscess which was drained out by her by squeezing.

The earache was due to stretching of the tight canal skin when the abscess started to form. Since, she has squeezed out the pus, the pain will reduce soon.

Meanwhile, she has to take an antibiotic such as a combination of amoxycillin and clavulanic acid or cefuroxime. A pain killer such as ibuprofen or diclofenac and a local ear pack (containing an antibiotic cream) has to be placed inside the canal.

Please consult your doctor for a complete evaluation and management.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon