Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Noticed swelling and pain in lower back. Should I go for specialist advise?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10353 Questions

I noticed at least a month ago, that the area at the lowest part of my back and concentrated just above the start of the gluteus is swollen. It looks puffy and it feels soft to the touch. I've never noticed any problems until yesterday. I was doing a workout video and in a position for ab workout that required feet against a wall and holding one's shoulder blades off the floor (to engage abs). I felt a very hard pain, as if I was lying on a rock and realized it's the same location of the swollen area. Do I need to see my GP or find a specialist?
Posted Sun, 21 Oct 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 26 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
The pain and swelling n the lowest part of your back could be due to a hematoma formation or a muscle sprain due to the workout. Such soft tissue injuries are usually self limiting and do resolve with adequate rest over 3-4 weeks.
You might notice change in its colour when it heals, from red to blue and finally pale to normal skin colour.
You can do a hot fomentation with douche bag twice a day, take absolute bed rest, have anti inflammatory medicines with your physicians advice, supported walking and if this doesn't work take an x XXXXXXX or sonography to diagnose the root of trouble.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor