Owl Image

Noticed lump at the back of throat. Could it be a sign of cancer?

Excellent
Question
Hi I have a gowth/lump at the back of my throat on the right side. Not sure if it is my tonsils or further back. It's no different in colour to the rest of my throat and does not cause me pain. It is not a uniform shape kind of bulbous at parts and have to push the back of my tongue down to see it. It doesn't cause me poblems swallowing or breathing however i have had a feeling of something in my throat when dry swallowing on the odd occasion but it is not persistent and mostly at night time for some eason. I'm a 27 year old male who doesn't smoke or dink excessively and am relatively healthy. I am naturally thinking it is cancer because it is a gowth. Please help! 
Thu, 20 Dec 2012 in Lymphoma

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The lump at the back of your throat can be a tonsillar swelling. It could be due to allergy, sinusitis, and reflux of the acid from the stomach into the throat. Infection of the tonsils, caused either by bacteria or by one of several common viruses, can lead to swelling of the tonsils, which may give a dry throat.

You need to consult a good ENT specialist for a thorough examination of the oral cavity and the throat, to diagnose the cause of your problem. Till then, you need to consume plenty of warm water, avoid smoking, alcohol and coffee. Also, eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, this helps in regeneration of the mucosa of the oral cavity and reduction of the symptoms.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.