Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Noticed large lump on jaw. Suspect mumps. Concerned?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1777 Questions
I just discovered a large lump on the right side of my jaw. I suspect mumps but I am not sure and very concerned.
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 42 minutes later

We generally observe the parotid glands swelling (in front of the ear) on both the sides of face, muscle pain, fever, difficulty eating in typical mumps presentation.

Do you have other described symptoms? Do you have some children or adults around who are affected by Mumps? It would be good if you can post the picture of the lump and the size here with the help of pic upload feature on the right side of page.

Either case since it is less serious if necessary precautions are taken, just do not worry. You need to stay indoors for 5 days and take pain relievers like Tylenol or Motrin as required up to three times a day. Take at least 3 litres of water every day. Cover while sneezing, coughing to prevent the spread of virus.

Let me know if you have any further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Noticed large lump on jaw. Suspect mumps. Concerned? 9 minutes later
the lump is directly below my right ear on my jaw line. It is very tender. I have body aches, headache, I may be running a fever. The lump is about the size of a quarter. the lump is soft and movable.

Have a mental taste in my mouth
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 10 minutes later
The description sounds consistent with mumps. Please carry on with what I said earlier.

It is self limiting viral infection, it just requires good hydration. Rest and Tab Tylenol DS should be sufficient for three days. However please note about the risk of contagion.

Do you have some queries related to this? Let me know.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor