Owl Image

Noticed clear jelly like discharge from anus while passing gas. Temporary or serious problem?

Owl Image
Dr. Sadiq Mughal

Critical Care Specialist

Question
Hello.
Im a 19 year old male and about a few hours ago, i recently passed gas and noticed a clear jelly-like substance that discharged from my anus. Is this temporary or could this be a serious thing? I also have mild stomach discomfort on the left side of my lower abdomen.

Additional Info:
Height: 5'8
Weight: 185
Medication: I just finished taking Cephalexin which was used for an infection from a cyst on my neck. Other than that, no medication used since last year.
Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 3 hours later
Hello thanks for writing to us.
Relax, passing of gas is a normal process.The clear jelly like substance which you have passed after gas is temporary problem and will go of itself.Most probably this clear jelly like substance is due to cephalexin, a course of which you have recently completed.Clear fluid like diarrhoea,with pain abdomen is the side effect of cephelaxin.Since you have completed the course and not taking drug any more hopefully this will settle down.This is not a serious problem.
I would suggest you to keep it under watch,if it increases in intensity or intensity of pain abdomen increases,then it needs medical attention.
Hope this answers your question.
Let me know if you have any more queries.
Dr Sadiq.

Follow-up: Noticed clear jelly like discharge from anus while passing gas. Temporary or serious problem? 34 hours later
As a follow up question:

I was wondering how long the side effects of cephalexin would last for. The abdominal pain has not increased but it has been stable. diarrhea has been noticed for the past 2 days and so has mucus in the stool. Ive been restricting my diet to fiber enriched foods and plenty of water due to the diarrhea.

Its been more than two days and I was wondering If I should see my doctor about it since it hasnt stopped. Can these symptoms lead to a more serious problem?

Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 5 hours later
Hello, thanks for your follow up.

Diarrhea associated with antibiotic should subside once antibiotics are stopped. However, sometimes this does not happen. Reason being over growth by bad bacteria.

The echo system of intestine is maintained by balance between good bacteria and bad bacteria. Antibiotics also kill good bacteria disturbing the echo system of intestine and some time there is overgrowth of bad bacteria most commonly of a bacteria called as clostridium difficile.

Continue taking plenty of fluids and diet as your taking. I hope that these symptoms will not lead to any serious problem. If diarrhea does not stop, consultation with your physician is advisable, who may be able to treat your antibiotics associated diarrhea.

Hope this answers your question.

Dr Sadiq.