Noticed blood in bowel movement. What is the disease and treatment available?

Dr. Sudhir

Posted on Sat, 12 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: please tell me!hi my name is XXXXXXX 18 male I wipe my ass after I been toilet and found blood on the toilet paper
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 28 minutes later

There are many cause of such rectal bleed and bleed can occur from different sites of GIT. the usual causes are anal fissure,haemorroids,polyps, colitis/proctitis and cancer. Even blood coagulations and some medications can cause such bleeding.

Before treatment is started cause and site of the bleed has to determined and then only a specific treatment can be proposed. usually treatment is directed towards stopping bleeding and preventing rebleeding.

If sometimes bleeding is chronic then one may need evaluation for hemoglobin. I think most likely cause in your case is bleeding through lower GIT as blood is fresh after passing stool.

I strongly suggest you to get a clinical evaluation done by a doctor, who will locate site of bleed and its likely cause. Investigations like proctoscopy, colonoscopy ,sonogram and scan may also be needed. The issue can be serious if the bleeding increase or leads to anemia.

I hope I have been helpful to you, Please ask if there are any doubts.

Thank you. Regards

Follow up: Dr. Sudhir 9 minutes later
if my parents got told when I was younger I cant have any children can I have children now as am 18 and am a male
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 12 minutes later
Thanks for follow up question.

Ideal way to know this would be to get a sperm analysis done.

Regards.