Normal healthy sperm count in man? Ways to improve sperm count?
what is the normal to healthy sperm count and what are the measures to increase and improve it?
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
More than 20 million sperm per ml of ejaculate is considered a normal count.
The TOTAL count should be atleast 40 million.
Atleast 50 % of the sperms seen should be motile and vital. ( moving well )
More than 5 % of them should be normal in size , shape and other characteristics.
There should be no abnormal pus cells or blood cells in the semen sample.
Its colour, pH etc also should be ideal.
To know if you have a normal and healthy sperm count, you should have a semen analysis.
This is best done at a certified reputed laboratory.
You should have 3 days of sexual abstinence, and should not be going through a period of stress, fever or illness.
You should provide the sample after masturbation at the laboratory only and not at home ( transport might damage the sample ).
Then the results will tell you if your report is normal.
There could be various reasons for an abnormal report - genetic causes, infection, blockage of tubes carrying the sperm, effect of drugs or radiation etc.
If you have an abnormal semen count, please upload the report so that I can interpret it and guide you accordingly.
An XXXXXXX / Urologist would examine you physically and conduct various tests to know exact cause of abnormal semen analysis, and the treatment is accordingly given.
In general, to have a healthy sperm count -
Avoid smoking, drinking, drugs, tobacco.
Avoid wearing tight jeans and tight underwear.
Avoid exposure to hot climates for prolonged periods.
Avoid extremely hot baths.
Keep exposure to pollution and chemicals to a minimum.
Maintain an ideal BMI.
Please consume a diet XXXXXXX in fresh fruits, fresh leafy green vegetables, whole grains, nuts, legumes etc.
Exercise regularly ( 45 minutes a day for atleast 5 days a week ) without overdoing protein supplements or weight training.
Have a healthy sexual life ( prolonged periods of abstinence without ejaculation via intercourse or masturbation can build up dead sperm ).
You can take zinc and vitamin C supplements also.
All the best.
Please feel free to ask any further follow up questions.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suffer stomach ache, dark skin, weakness, headache and fast breathing....
- Scan report said both adexna are free and adexna means the ovary and the...
- Diagnosed with PCOS. Family history of breast cancer and ovarian cancer....
- Pregnant and sonogrphy showed blighted ovunm. Treatment?
- Got bleeding after a positive pregnancy test. What could be the reason?
- Had hysterectomy. Did errands and walking. Tummy is swollen and tight,...
- Diabetic. Have normal periods. Wanted birth control. Suggested Tubal...
- Found after conception that husband was using anabolic steroids. Could...
- What is likelihood that child will have mental retardation if mother had...
- Had intercourse after periods finished. Spotting after having...