Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

129 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

No visible blood in urine. RBC found in urine test. Any suggestion?

Answered by
Dr. Das Arindam

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2008

Answered : 1416 Questions

Posted on Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: My friend had a 2+ rbc count in her urine. She was told it was from a uterine fibroid. She has had no visible blood in the urine. How would that work?
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 20 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, one point should be cleared. In urine, red blood cells are told as –RBCs /high power field. And presence of hemoglobin in urine is told as 1+/2+/3+. So, 2+ rbc is not possible.

Now, in case of uterine fibroid, she may experience bleeding per vagina. When she gave the urine, the blood got mixed with urine and gave the false result. It is most common thing in our clinical practice. But, from just testing urine, one cannot say that the RBCs are from uterine fibroid. It is impractical rather impossible.

If there is no bleeding per vagina, but still the report indicates presence of RBC or blood detected by chemical methods, then she has to repeat the test. This time she should be cautious about the contamination of blood per vagina with urine.

Lastly, repeat the test again, if she do not have any bleeding.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later
So, would a 2+ hemoglobin indicate the same thing? I guess my brain can't figure this out. Does the type of microscope used break down the rbc to show hemoglobin? Also, in other scenarios, would occult blood in the urine come as a result of kidney problems? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 4 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

If it is occult blood, then there are many possibilities ranging from infection of urinary tract to kidney disease. But, it does not indicates a fibroid in uterus. So, it indicates no definite disease condition but can be seen in many conditions. So, it is to be correlated clinically. You need to visit a nephrologist.

But, if there are both rbc and hemoglobin, then the possibility is contamination of bleeding per vaginum and urine.

So, the two conditions are different.

Consult with your treating doctor for clinical correlation.

Type of microscope used cannot breakdown the rbcs in hemoglobin.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Fibroid

doctor1 MD

Hi, I have been diagnosed with large uterine fibroids. i don t have a sergery scheduled yet. I have heavy periods for about 2 weeks; when i don t i am feeling really tired, even if i think i recuperate my strength. My blood level could be as low as 7 sometimes. Why do i feel always tired, are the fibroids make me like this even when i am not bleeding?

doctor1 MD

I had a hysterectomy on March 26th of this year after suffering with fibroids and horrible periods all my life. I m 45. My doc left an ovary. Almost monthly I get dark brown discharge for several days and also weirdly some cramping. I thought ALL of this was behind me?? Concerned that something may be wrong but maybe this is normal.

doctor1 MD

I am a 22 year old female. I have had a very sensitive GI system my whole life and have had many problems from heartburn, diarrhea, nausea, cramps, constipation, the list goes on. The past 2 months I ve been having a crippling pain in my lower back/lower stomach/groin area. My DR thought is may be a female related issue and ordered a internal and external sonogram. A very, very small (about 3/4 of a CM in size) fibroid was found but my gyno does not this that is the reason for the pain...I do not think it is either because the pain has begun to happen most often before I have a bowl movement, during one, or after one. Sometimes it happens during intercourse, sometimes during urination, and sometimes after eating. This pain is not a burning or just a little cramp, this pain is a crippling pain that makes me double over in pain, gripping my stomach. I was given a short term anti-inflammatory (Ketorlac) and it does nothing for me.

doctor1 MD

I have been feeling unwell for the past few months, I am 48yrs old , female and going through the change. My symtoms include Chronic indigestion, acid in stomach, it has now got to the stage that I cannot eat solids as the pain is intense, I feel as though I have something stuck in my throat and pain is worse when I try to eat, my kidney region is sore , I have stomach cramps, and feel sick all the time, plus I feel as though my body is overheating.I also feel feel exhausted and out of breath most of the time. The doctor checked and I was sent for test at the hospital to see if problems caused by fibroids, but tests clear, I then asked my doctor to do a blood test to see if my iron levels were low. The results from my blood test was a red blood cell count of 16.7, which I have been told not to worry about and my doctor has given me a prescription for anti depressants an told me to come back in 4 weeks for another blood test. I just feel i am not getting to the cause of my symptoms, can you help or give me advise please. Christine Wallace

doctor1 MD

On 2014 i Had a TVS. Result was normal Pelvic utz. Fibroid is 21mm x 10 anterior subserosal. Is this cancerous? I’ll have it check after 3 years after my 2014 UTZ. Should I be scared? Im so worried.

doctor1 MD

I have recently had a sexual encounter where the condom broke and I didnt realize It. I have got tested 2 days later and everything was negative. I then took 1000MG of azithromycin all at once just in case I had something. I did not have sex with...

doctor1 MD

Hello I have a question I had like a sharp pain across lower abdominal and now it is very tender to touch I do suffer from fybroids and cysts as well as ibs can you tell me if this is something serious as I can not get into go till Thursday