My two-year old granddaughter has had a fever up to

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Wed, 22 Aug 2018 in General Health
Question: My two-year old granddaughter has had a fever up to 103 for the last six days. She has been checked twice at the doctor and the ER and tested negative for the flu, step throat and UTI. She has no cough. She is somewhat lethargic. Her fever varies. I don't know if she seems pale as I am not with her. She has been in and out of doors for the last week or so. What to do? She is at the ER again this morning as she still has a fever. What should they check for next?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
ESR and CRP

Detailed Answer:

medical history and clinical examination are the two most important parts of medical assessment. I'm sure the doctors who examined her did both so I suppose nothing suspicious was found. What about lab tests? Did she do ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) and CRP (C-reactive protein)?

These tests may help to distinguish between bacterial and viral infections. Bacterial infections require antibiotic treatment while viral infections usually require only patience and supportive measures. Obviously checking for anything that might have resulted in (or accompanied) fever is important like tick bites, tender areas, rash, etc.

I hope you find my answer helpful!

Take care,
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis