My son is very jaundiced and his abdomen is distended.

Gastroenterologist
Question
My son is very jaundiced and his abdomen is distended. He is retaining fluid in his feet and legs. He said the doctor at the emergency room said all of these symptoms will subside. I am beside myself with worry. The way he looks makes me think he needs emergency care. He said the doctor said the ct scan showed light scarring on his liver, but that it will heal in time.\ YYYY@YYYY

Mon, 5 Feb 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please go through detailed explaination.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query.

As there is no portal hypertension or cirrhosis of liver as well as you have not mentioned that any specific cause of jaundice was diagnosed like Hepatitis B or C infection.Mild scarring would resolve itself in few weeks.It could be a possible hepatitis A attack as blood tests and other scans are normal.
Were serum proteins tests done?
Liver synthesize proteins which holds water.When there is some problem with synthesis of these proteins water diffuses into various spaces causing swelling.
Please get a serum protein test done if its normal keep patient on a high carbohydrate diet.
If edema is pitting in nature mild diuretics can also be given.

Thanks!