Missing periods after having intercourse. Any suggestion?

Dr. Rhea Chanda

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Question: Hi Dr,

I had my periods on 17 sep 2012, then on 28th oct 2012 in between this me and my husband never had sex.

and we have on 23rd nov to 25th nov and i haven't got my periods yet, can i be pregnant.

Iam not feeling like having food i fill tried.

Suggest me please
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 10 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX
Your last period was on 28th Oct,am i correct?Then you had sex on 23-25th Nov and your expected date of period was around 28/29th Nov.However,your period is late?Well,if you had sex only on23-25th nov,then pregnancy chances are very less. But if you had sex earlier in that cycle,pregnancy chances are there.So if you dont get your periods after within 7-10 days then do a pregnancy test.The next step will depend on that.
Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 5 minutes later
Can you tell me in % of the chances of getting pregnant very less in the sence 20%.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 3 minutes later
If you only had sex on 23-25th nov and not any time before that after 28th oct,then chances of pregnancy are less,maybe 5-7%.Thats provided your cycles are regular and you have ovulation by day 14.
Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 3 minutes later
Actually i have irregular periods so iam worried last pregnancy i had experienced in the last moment i mean we had sex at the time of my periods and my results were positive.

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 48 minutes later
Even if you have irregular periods,if you have sex during periods,then its impossible to concieve.You may have concieved in a previous cycle followed by spotting/ bleeding.
Since you do have irregular cycles,the time of ovulation cannot be determined correctly.In normal cycles its between 12-16 day. But in prolonged cycles,it could be later.Although chances are less, 23-25th is rather late in the cycle,day 27th of your last cycle and almost rare for ovulation to occur so late.Hence, either way,pregnancy chances are low. Its too late for emergency contraception as it wont work so late.
Now,there isnt much to do but wait.If your periods dont arrive by a week,then take a test.
Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 9 days later
Hi Dr,

As you said i got my period on 6th Dec 2012, it was delayed by 8 days.
From past 4 months my periods are delayed by 8 to 10 days i have no idea why its happening.

this time i had a very less bleeding i can say as just the spots for 2 days i had and i had a very bad cramps on my lower stomach towards right and its paining from past 1 week. I feeling like i may faint now can i know why all this are happening with me

Is there any chances of Ectopic pregnancy.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 6 hours later

There is always a chance ofpregnancy however minimal it may be. But whether its topic depends can be diagnosed only by ultrasound. Take a urine pregnancy test. If its negative,no chance of pregnancy. Then your irregular cycles must be due hormonal problems. Further investigation is required.
Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 13 hours later
But my question is why i have so much of cramping and i feel depressed often. Since i had 2 abortion i don't want to have it again nor i want the child so soon.

My husband and i stay separately since we both are working in different location and monthly ones we XXXXXXX each other is there any kind of safe method for not getting pregnant leaving condom.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 3 hours later
There are many options for contraception but you are one who needs to use it. So you need to decide what to use. If you don't want to use condom then other options are available. But you need to decide when you want kids. If you don't want to get pregnancy now then you need to do something about that asap. So take a pregnancy test asap. If its negative then start using contraception now. You can either take oc pills (but you need to take them daily) or you can use a iucd. Since you don't stay with your husband iucd would be better for you so that you don't need to take pills daily. Any gyneacologist will insert it.
Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 7 minutes later
since i had abortion twice one in XXXXXXX 2007 and other one on nov 2007 and planning not to have kids for other 2 years, leaving a long gap for getting pregnant will that effect later when i want to conceive and want to give a birth to my child.

i got married in 2006 and now iam 25 years old, i will not be older after 2 to 3 years for giving a birth to my kid right. i want to have kids now but my husband does'nt want to have so soon he wants me to be with him and he wants to take care of me and want to be with his child every day until he comes to this world.

I have heard that after abortion and giving gap will effect on getting pregnant later is that true.
Since 2007, there has already there has been a long gap so another 2yrs should not pose a problem. Repeated abortions are a problem thought. Either there maybe conception problems or there may be difficulty in carrying the pregnancy. But there its any point in discussing that now since you don't want kids at present. When you decide to get pregnant then these problems can be dealt with.