Owl Image

Missing period. Got faint positive pregnancy result then negative. Feeling nausea. What's going on?

Owl Image
Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Question
I am 3 days late. I took a first responce pregnancy test yesterday morning with morning urine and got an extremely light positive result, I then bought a dollar store brand pregnancy test and took it last night an it was negative. I have extreme nausea. My last period was 12/15/12
Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 19 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX
It seems you have a 26 - 28 day cycle, since you mention that you are already 3 days late.
A urine pregnancy test is generally positive on the first day of your missed period.
If you are 3 days late, you took one at the proper time.
However, please bear in mind that these tests are 97% accurate, and 3 % chances of error exist.
Also, a faint positive line, which failed to show on the second test, could be due to very early pregnancy, or rarely, an ectopic pregnancy, as in both cases, low levels of B HCG cause an equivocal result on the test.
Also, the test with a morning urine sample is more accurate.
I hope you followed all instructions mentioned on the kit meticulously.
Urine should not be contaminated with other substances, so either directly streamed on to the kit, or collected in a sterile vial.
Too few drops of urine might give an erroneous result.
Reading the test too early or too late also makes it invalid.
To lessen the confusion, I would urge you to consult a gynaecologist at the earliest, as you already had a faintly positive result once.
With a thorough examination and a blood HCG test or an ultrasound if required, your diagnosis would be more clear.

Take care and feel free to ask for further clarifications.