Missed taking birth control. Had unprotected sex. Started brown discharge. Any thoughts?

Dr. Timothy Raichle

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Birth Control
Question: I've been on birth control for 4 years. Yaz, specifically for all except 2 months of those 4 years. I've never had problems or any pregnancy scares. I've also never missed a pill and only once missed a pill but took 2 the next day at the time I normally take it (around 8am). Last week (Friday) I missed a day and took 2 the following day around 3pm. I started having a dark brown discharge that night and its been off and on since. Its not heavy but noticable. I don't have any cramps or other symptoms. I did have unprotected sex Wednesday night and Thursday night. It was the end of my second week of pills. Any thoughts on this? I'm worried about pregnancy even though he pulled out.
Timeline: Missed pill Thursday morning and Friday morning. Took 2 pills Friday at 3pm
Unprotected sex Wednesday night and Thursday night.
End of the 2nd week of my pill pack.
Started discharge Friday evening.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 5 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

The reasons that I think that you are not pregnant (this is what you are worried about):

1. You have otherwise taken the pill almost perfectly
2. Missed pills, even with the "correction" of taking the missed pill, is usually associated with some odd breakthrough bleeding or brownish discharge
3. He was careful about "pulling out"

While I think that you have little to worry about, I would recommend:

1. Use backup protection for the remainder of the current pill pack
2. Check a pregnancy test at the time that you start the next pill pack

I hope that this helps!
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 3 minutes later
How long does this break through bleeding normally last? It's been about 5 days now.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 30 minutes later
It would be too early for this bleeding to be related to pregnancy. It might last until you finish this pill pack. I would keep taking the current pills and expect a normal period and cessation of this bleeding with the start of the next pill pack. I also stick by my prior recommendation!
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 minute later
Ok. Thank you so much for your help!! I really appreciate it!
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 19 minutes later
You are very welcome!!