Owl Image

Minor surgery done for conjunctival cyst in eye. Have swollen eyelid. Should I be concerned?

Owl Image
Dr. Mihir Shah

Ophthalmologist

Question
My problem is a conjunctivital cyst in my right eye. the ophthalmologist I was sent to a corneal specialist who said it was huge. My eye looked glazed, very teary and it felt like there was something inside. The corneal specialist did a "minor surgery" and cut the cyst and drained. He warned me the cyst may grow back and need to be cut again. Needless to say the cyst is coming back again after 1 week of surgery but am now worried the eye to me looks very bad - much smaller, blood shot and very swollen and eyelid very swollen. I being treated with predisolone eye drops, ciproflacin eye drops and an ointment called lotemax. None of this is making my eye look better. I've been to several ophthalmologists and and no one seems to think its anything to worry about but I am. Please give me some advice that will make it better.i
Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX,

I need to know if it was a conjunctival cyst or a chalazion.If you can send me a close up photograph of your eye, I will be able to comment better.

I will wait for your reply.

Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah

Follow-up: Minor surgery done for conjunctival cyst in eye. Have swollen eyelid. Should I be concerned? 12 days later
I have the pictures of the cyst on the website now (this is prior to the surgery). Also, since then I have been diagnosed now with scleritis in the right eye. I would like to know what you see in those pictures I uploaded. Was there a sign that scleritis had already begun to form before the surgery or does the eye look infected before the surgery? I am now being treated with cipro oral med 2xs day, predisilone eye drops six times a day, oral naproxen 2 xs a day, and antibiotic drops 4 xs a day polymyxinB/trimethoprim. None of this is helping it get better. It looks worse. I have been seen at Bascom Palmer eye hospital several times and I am awaiting an appt with Dr XXXXXXX Amescua- cornea specialist - on Monday at Bascom Palmer. The red eye has spread to the left eye. But the right eye looks very very bad. Please give me your advice. I canrequest pictures when the scleritis was first diagnosed at Bascom Palmer.

Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 2 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,

Thanks for writing back.I have seen the photos.In the photos I do not see any evidence of scleritis.It is just looking like a conjunctival cyst.Maybe the scleritis has developed after the surgery.In any case now you should follow your doctors advice.

I will be available for any furthur assistance if you need any.

Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah

Follow-up: Minor surgery done for conjunctival cyst in eye. Have swollen eyelid. Should I be concerned? 6 hours later
You did not mention whether there was any XXXXXXX of infection in the original pictures. Was there an infection before the surgery? Also which doctor's advice should I follow. The surgery was perform by baptist Hospital corneal specialist. I am currently being seen at Bascom Palmer hospital ER. I have an appt with a corneal scleritis specialist.

Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 33 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX,
There was no sign of any infection prior to surgery.The cornea scleritis specialist will be able to guide you better.

Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah

Follow-up: Minor surgery done for conjunctival cyst in eye. Have swollen eyelid. Should I be concerned? 43 hours later
Pleas have the doctor evaluate this (photo.jpg) and let me know if this scleritis or viral conjunctivitis and if so, specifically what type of scleritis. XXXXXXX

This is what the right eye looks like. This is not very close up. Compare that to scleritis pictures on the Internet.

Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 40 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX

I have seen the photo.jpg. It could be scleritis or conjunctivitis. One way to differentiate is if you press on your closed eye upper lid it pains. If it is scleritis it will be very painful. If it is conjunctivits, there wont be much pain, but there will be lots of irritation and watering.

Scleritis is of three types - nodular, diffuse and necrotising. In your case it looks like a diffuse scleritis. However only a specialist after doing a detailed examination can guide you furthur.

Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah