Suggest treatment for conjunctivitis

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Sat, 1 Apr 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: bacterial pink eye two days ago he also had a runny nose and cough at the office. Now he has a headache, earache and fever. He has also had diarrhea for a few days now.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Conjunctivitis

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query. Pink-eye, is also known as conjunctivitis, is usually a viral infection, although in some cases, it can be caused by other factors such as bacteria, allergies and exposure to chemicals, wind and sun.As in your case there is associated history of cough cold and coryza its most likely the virus that cause a common cold. Just as a cold must run its course, so must this form of pinkeye, which usually lasts from four to seven days. Viral conjunctivitis can be highly contagious.
Generally, pink-eye is not serious and it is self-limiting, which means that it typically disappears over time as your coryza will settle down.Since it’s not caused by bacteria, it does not respond to antibiotics. Artificial tears and limited use of antihistamine drops will provide some relief of symptoms,Paracetamol and allegra can be taken for other symptoms.
For loose stool dicyclomine oral drops can be given to the kid thrice daily.However a stool test should be done to find out if loose stools are bacterial or protozoal ,as in that case antibiotic therapy would be given.
Please maintain proper hydration and electrolyte disbalance of the child.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy