Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Medicines to stop Smoking and drinking alcohol?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 415 Questions
Hello Doctor

Please guide me how i can stop Smoking & drinking habit.

I have tried to stop both only one month have stopped & again it got started because of work pressure.

I really dont wat to SMOKE & DRINK ANYMORE


Once i control the habit i will stop my whole life.

Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 26 hours later

Thanks for the query

I genuinely appreciate your willingness to stop consuming alcohol and smoking

Medicines along with counseling / psychotherapy are available for treatment of both the problems

Combination of the above two type of treatment when started simultaneously and continued regularly for few months gives positive results particularly in people who actually want to get rid off such habits

I entirely agree with you of the statement that XXXXXXX Once i control the habit i will stop my whole life", because the initial couple of months are the difficult period during which you are likely to have distressing symptoms which we call as "withdrawal syndrome".

Different medicines like benzodiazepines are helpful in acute phase / early period

Medicines like Acamprosate, Disulfiram, Naltrexone etc are helpful in decreasing the craving and helps you to remain abstinent for a long period. Of course these medications need to be taken in consultation with doctor.

Additionally, via counselling / psychotherapy by your psychiatrist / by yourself need to employ "problem solving strategy"

I think you have started the very 1st step needed to stop such habits, merely asking a question to us.

Please let me know if I could be of some further guidance
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Addiction Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor