Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Medication for Edema bulla?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1968
Answered : 298 Questions
how to medicate for "edema bulla"
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later
Hi there.
Thank you for posting your question.

Edema, meaning fluid collecting in the tissues, usually the lower limbs, can have many causes. Back pressure from heart failure or fluid retention from renal failure are examples. In these cases both lower limbs would be affected equally.

Edema bulla means the pressure of the tissue fluid retention is of a severity sufficient to raise a water blister. In your case, if I understand you correctly, only your right leg is affected, so the underlying cause of your edema is unlikely to be renal or heart failure and more likely relates to obstructed venous return.

I'm sure with this degree of edema you will have received medical attention and the underlying diagnosis will have been made. If not then it needs to be.

To answer your question then, edema bulla is treated like any edema and that is with diuretics to help you pass more urine and reduce the amount of fluid being retained in your body. An additional measure usually recommended is to raise the affected leg on a foot stool so less gravity is hindering venous return.

You may also be wondering if the water blister(s) should be broken. The answer to that is no, not without medical supervision.

I hope this has helped you a bit and that you get better soon.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor