Malignant polyp removed. Getting lower back pain with loss of appetite. Found dry kidneys. Concerned

Dr. G.Srinivasan

Urologist

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in General Health
Question: my husband had a malignant polyp removed 10 years ago and had follow up colonoscopy's for 5 years. He has complained off and on about pain in the lower back/right side but recently it has gotten worse. His appetite has decreased considerably in the last few months so that he eats breakfast and maybe a sandwich for lunch but doesn't want dinner of an evening. I took him to emergency last week as he had constipation with the pain. They gave him a laxative and said a blood test showed he had dry kidneys. Since then he often has urgency to move his bowels more frequently even sometimes waking him up and doesn't always feel empty.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 36 minutes later
welcome to XXXXXXX
I had a close look at the history.
Resection for malignant polyp, loss of appetite AND alteration in bowel habit, unfortunately point to either recurrence of the disease or a polyp elsewhere in the bowel.
He needs to check his stools for occult blood, bowels again by colonoscopy after physical examination and evaluation by your doctor.
It is better to take an early appointment.
Best regards
DR GS