Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

MRI showing herniated disc with severe stenosis. Pain in lower back. Suffered an injury. What can I do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Spine Surgeon
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 322 Questions
My MRI shows herniated disc with severe stenosis I am literally in pain all day which is in my lower back Surgery is suggested after all other measures have failed. I am petrified of surgery is there anything that I can do naturally to alleviate the pain I am sixty six years old I suffered an injury on the job in 1991 what coa I do desperation
Posted Tue, 5 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
have you tried any spinal injection

Detailed Answer:
I understand your concern. However this condition usually comes in this age group. Initially I always treat with medicine and physical therapy. If you have day to day severe pain and hampering your daily routine then it needs some intervention. This is more a mechanical problem and there no such medicine which will reduce the pressure on the nerves and it will give you permanent relief. Definitive treatment option is surgical treatment.
Now if you are not prepared for this option then you can consider doing injection in the spine which will relieve the pain however it may be temporary but can be repeated if needed. Sometimes alternative medicine options such as acupressure yoga and pranayam may work which does not change the pathology but increases the pain tolerance level.
Hope I answered your doubts. Wishing you good health.Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor