MRI showed nothing and had blood work. Suggest treatment

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Blood Disorders
Question: My son is 7 years old and had been transported to our local ER after becoming unresponsive after waking up in the am. When we were at the hospital they ran stat blood work and an MRI . He woke up out of the blue over 1 hour later. They released us that same day after observation with the instructions to go see a geneticist. I'm very confused...why unresponsive and why a geneticist . The MRI showed nothing but the blood work is what they gave us to give to the doctor at Nemours hospital for children. Any clue what happened?

Lipase Level L 8, Alkaline Phosphatase H 203, UR ketone 4+, UR Protein 1+, UR mucus trace, WBC H 19.5, Seg% H 65, Bands% H15, Lymphs % L 13, Monos% H 1.4, Chloride L 97, Co2 L 16, Anion Gap H 26, BUN H 27, Creatinine L 0.3, Neutrophils absolute H 15.6, and last MonosH 1.4.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
May be some form of organic acidosis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
it appears that he is accumulating acid in his blood. the first thing to be excluded is diabetes but I don't see any blood sugar report. I hope thay have done it and it is normal. The next thing is some form of organic acidosis where a person accumulates acid in the blood. Usually this is some form of genetic disorder, even though the parents and siblings may be normal.
He requires urgent workup to diagnose the exact type of the disease.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
He has an older and younger brother that expectanc extream muscle cramping and involuntary muscle twitch. The older one describes it as something feels like its eatin my muscle. I also has experience since childhood .
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May be familial

Detailed Answer:
Though these symptoms are not classical but a familial disease cannot be ruled out.
Some of these disorders affect the muscles also.
We need to run a full workup with pedigree analysis to reach a diagnosis.