MRI showed L3 L4 right foraminal annular fissure, small protrusion without nerve impingement. Required treatment?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: MRI results indicated "L3 L4 right foraminal annular fissure and small protrusion without nerve impingement. What are normal treatment options, and is surgery best course to resolve?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The MRI shows a mild disc protrusion with no nerve root compression.
Medicines are the first line treatment along with physiotherapy. If the patient responds well with medicines then physiotherapy helps in preventing further progression of the problem. Surgery is kept as a last resort to improve the quality of life of the patient in case there is severe nerve root compression causing symptoms.
The main treatment of such problem is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Muscle relaxants can help with your symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic. You can get these prescribed from your orthopedician.
Local analgesic gels and hot fomentation may provide a short term relief. You can use analgesic gels like Volini gel. Exercise is not advisable in the times of acute pain.
Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles.
Physiotherapy also plays a major role in treating such conditions. Surgery is not required in your case as there is no nerve root compression.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.