Lump near hairline between pelvic area and inner leg. What could this be?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Lump near hairline between pelvic area and inner leg. Semi hard, unpoppable, reoccurring (disappears for weeks then comes back again) and painful every once in awhile usually after examining it or if my leg brushes up against it.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: it could be a recurrent boil or lymph node Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing to us. from the description provided, either it could be a boil or a swollen enlarged inguinal lymph node. A boil is basically a bacterial infection of hair follicle. Bacterial infection is common in groins as the area is hairy, warm and prone to sweat occlusion providing a favorable environment to bacteria and fungus to grow. Inguinal node can become enlarged and tender if there is any injury or infection in feet, legs and genital area. Like even boils over legs or any sexually transmitted ds can cause such hard lumps. Other possbility to be ruled out is lipoma and sebaceous cyst. A lipoma is benign skin tumor containing fat cells and is freely movable but it persists. Sebaceous cyst is again a benign cyst containing white cheesy foul smelling material. I would advise you to XXXXXXX a dermatologist nearby to get these possibilities ruled out. A clinical examination is certainly required for the same. Hope this helped. Should there be any further doubt, please write back. Take care
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 2 hours later
so you don't think its cancer at all?
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 19 hours later
Brief Answer: i do not think its cancer Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing back I do not suspect it to be lymphoma or cancer. It is probably infectious or inflammatory in nature. If its a lymph node swelling cause can be ruled out by FNAC. As the lesion has been waxing and waning, chances are less its cancerous. Hope this helped. Take care
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 2 days later
what about if it hurts?
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 15 hours later
Brief Answer: its tender as its inflammed Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing back. Any swelling or lump that hurts just signifies that its inflammed or infected. Please do not suspect it to be cancerous unless proven. In all probability, it is a boil or an enlarged inflammed lymph node. Please XXXXXXX a dermatologist nearby to get the lesion clinically examined. Hope this helped Regards