What causes a red spot on the penis head after protected sex?

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Posted on Tue, 29 Aug 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi doctor,
I had safe sex around3 weeks ago and I now have a red (spot) on the head of my penis. Should I be worried?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please follow up with further details

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic for your health concern

Kindly follow up with further details so that I can give you a definite answer
- Did you notice a single red bumps or are there any other lesions?
-Any pain or itching associated?
-Any pain during urination?
-Any other concerning symptoms?

Dr.Lekshmi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 8 hours later
I only have a single red bump. No pain or itching and no pain in urination.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be Fordyce spot

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

Single red spot with no other associated symptoms is not indicative of an infection.
It is likely to be a Fordyce spot, which is an aberrant sebaceous gland.It can appear white to red in color. It is completely normal and nothing to be worried about. No treatment is needed.

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad