Lump in epigastric region, bloating, abdominal pain, hernia, GERD

Dr. Deepak Anvekar

Posted on Wed, 16 May 2012 in GERD
Question: hi about 4 years ago while iwas bein sick i seemed to have strained the bottom centre of my chest and felt a sharp pain the i noticed a lumb it has not been bothering me but some times feel bloated more so after i have been drinking told my doctor about it 3 years ago but he did not seem concernt about it think he said it was a kind of hernia thanks
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 18 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

The history provided seems to be describing a lump in the epigastric region as well as issues such as bloating and abdominal discomfort. I would like to give you information based on both the symptoms mentioned.

If you are worried that you have a lump in the belly, the cause of such a lump needs to be evaluated with tests including a Ultrasound abdomen, which will give more information about the lump and help in providing proper treatment.

In case of a hernia, it might need a surgical corrective procedure, to prevent any adverse effects.

But from the history provided, I assume that your main symptoms is epigastric discomfort and bloating.

The most common cause of such symptoms is gastro esophageal reflux disorder or gastritis.

Some tips that can help control the symptoms include:

1. Change and develop good dietary habits including, eating several small meals daily.

2. Diet should include fresh fruits, fiber XXXXXXX foods.
Avoid spicy foods, fats and fried foods.
Also avoid coffee, tea, alcohol, colas, and smoking.
Avoid processed foods (Junk foods from refined carbohydrates),
Eat freshly cooked food from whole grains.

3. Adopt proper posture.

4. Don't eat for at least three hours before you go to bed. If you have symptoms at night, try raising the head of your bed six to ten inches.

5. Maintaining adequate hydration.

6. Adopting a sitting upright posture for 1 hr post meals will help in relieving the symptoms.

7. Avoid foods to which you are intolerant.

In addition to dietary and lifestyle changes, suggested above, the following OTC medications can help you to relieve your symptoms.

1. antacids (Tums, mylanta) will help relieve the acidity related discomfort ;

2. Omeprazole will help to reduce acid secretions ;

3. Activated charcoal will reduce the bloating sensation,

4. Probiotics and digestive enzyme supplements will help to improve digestion.

Hope I have answered your query.

If you have any more queries, I will be available to answer them as well.
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Anvekar 42 hours later
thank you some times when i bend a certain way i feel what i think to be a air bubble or fluid ,in that region but only now and again ,more so if i think about it ,but no other discomfort thank you
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 38 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Since you don't have any other major issues, your condition could be very benign.

You might follow the dietary and lifestyle advice suggested above and find good relief.

Wish you good health.