Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Lump between shoulder and neck. What is it?

Sep 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1416 Questions
I have this lump between my shoulder blade and neck, its been there for about 30 years, its not painful but I just want to know what it is. I am a retired Barber that has cut a lot of hair over the years ( I am 68 years old ) when I am relaxed I can move it with hands. XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later

Thank you for posting a query.

Your description indicates a lump in the swelling present in the cervical region. It is there for the last 30 years.

The duration indicates that the lump could be a lipoma or a muscle tissue or a benign lesion of skin. It is definitely a benign lesion. Because a cancerous lesion would show recent increase in size.

But, for definitive diagnosis, a clinical examination is must. It is impractical to comment anything definitely. Because, the exact position, size, shape, consistency, mobility, relation with the underlying structure, are all very important in concluding with a definite diagnosis.

So, it would be better to consult with a general surgeon for a detailed clinical examination. Do not worry, it will not create much problem.

If clinical examination becomes noncontributory, then you need a fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) study. It will detect the abnormality without any surgical intervention.

If the FNAC also becomes noncontributory, then you have to consult with surgeon for excisional biopsy. Here, the lump is removed surgically and then it is sent to a pathologist for identification of its exact diagnosis.

So, you have to consult with a general surgeon first for a detailed clinical examination and also for further management accordingly.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor