Lower abdominal pain, frequent urination and IBS. Blood test normal. What is causing this?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hi
For some weeks I have been suffering lower abdominal pain which is particularly bad at night. It occurs very low down and is central and towards the right hand side. Sometimes I need to urinate more frequently though it is not painful.
I do suffer from IBS but this feels very different. I have lost weight recently and so my GP sent me for a series of blood test which came back negative. These included a gluten free test, CA127? I don't think this is relevant but in August I had breast cancer surgery.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The pelvic pain that you have on the right side could be due to changes in the uterine tissue such as endometriosis, intestinal spasm, bladder spasm or sometimes kidney stones.
STIs and pelvic infection also needs to be ruled out after a physical examination.
You might benefit by visiting your OB-GYN so that you can be evaluated with a panel of blood tests and a ultrasound of the abdomen and pelvis OR a CT scan to diagnose the underlying condition and initiate necessary interventions for proper treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 21 hours later
Thank you Dr Tayal for your response.
I am still puzzled as to why my symtoms are worse at night and first thing in the morning. Also, I didn't know post menopausal women would suffer from endometrioses. Over 30 years ago I had a laperotomy for adhesions caused by pelvic infection (twice!). Might this be a recurrence of this despite not having lower abdominal surgery. I did have my gall bladder removed 4 years ago by keyhole surgery. There is no question of my having STIs since I have never been sexually active. Could you tell me what an OB-GYN is? Is it a gyneacologist? If so I don't have one. I would need to be refered to one at the hospital by my GP. I haven't been taking pain killers to date. Would you advise me to or might it disguise the symtoms? I look forward to hearing from you again.
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If your symptoms are worse at night then intestinal colic might be a more likely cause for the pain. Post menopausal women are less likely to have endometriosis but the previous adhesions can cause such a pain later too.
You need to get yourself properly investigated by your gynecologist (OB-GYN). Till then you can continue taking mild pain killers for symptomatic relief.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.