Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Lower abdominal pain, frequent urination and IBS. Blood test normal. What is causing this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10454 Questions
For some weeks I have been suffering lower abdominal pain which is particularly bad at night. It occurs very low down and is central and towards the right hand side. Sometimes I need to urinate more frequently though it is not painful.
I do suffer from IBS but this feels very different. I have lost weight recently and so my GP sent me for a series of blood test which came back negative. These included a gluten free test, CA127? I don't think this is relevant but in August I had breast cancer surgery.
Posted Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The pelvic pain that you have on the right side could be due to changes in the uterine tissue such as endometriosis, intestinal spasm, bladder spasm or sometimes kidney stones.
STIs and pelvic infection also needs to be ruled out after a physical examination.
You might benefit by visiting your OB-GYN so that you can be evaluated with a panel of blood tests and a ultrasound of the abdomen and pelvis OR a CT scan to diagnose the underlying condition and initiate necessary interventions for proper treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Lower abdominal pain, frequent urination and IBS. Blood test normal. What is causing this? 21 hours later
Thank you Dr Tayal for your response.
I am still puzzled as to why my symtoms are worse at night and first thing in the morning. Also, I didn't know post menopausal women would suffer from endometrioses. Over 30 years ago I had a laperotomy for adhesions caused by pelvic infection (twice!). Might this be a recurrence of this despite not having lower abdominal surgery. I did have my gall bladder removed 4 years ago by keyhole surgery. There is no question of my having STIs since I have never been sexually active. Could you tell me what an OB-GYN is? Is it a gyneacologist? If so I don't have one. I would need to be refered to one at the hospital by my GP. I haven't been taking pain killers to date. Would you advise me to or might it disguise the symtoms? I look forward to hearing from you again.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
If your symptoms are worse at night then intestinal colic might be a more likely cause for the pain. Post menopausal women are less likely to have endometriosis but the previous adhesions can cause such a pain later too.
You need to get yourself properly investigated by your gynecologist (OB-GYN). Till then you can continue taking mild pain killers for symptomatic relief.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor