• question-icon

Suggest treatment for spinal stenosis

Posted on Mon, 14 Aug 2017 in Back Pain
Question: I have been diagnosed with spinal stenosis in T 11-12 and L 2-3 I have 2 MRI and am scheduled for surgery at Darthmouth med Center but they do not do laser surgery. I am 85 years old an am concerned with being under general anes. for a long time.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
General anesthesia is very safe now so please go ahead.

Detailed Answer:
Hi I am Dr Gopal Goel Orthopedic Surgeon.
General Anesthesia is the choice of anesthesia for any spinal surgery. For very few cases only Local anesthesia may be given. General Anesthesia is very safe now ,so go ahead without any second thoughts. Laser Surgery ( Keyhole surgery ) may not be very useful for multiple level spinal canal stenosis.
Thanks for the question. Pl feel free to ask any other question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Gopal Goel 1 hour later
What is your opinion of UVM Med center and Dartmouth Med Center for this type of surgery

Which is considered to be rated the better hospital for spinal stenosis surgery ---UVM or Darthmouth
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
NO Idea

Detailed Answer:
hi,
Sorry I have no idea about the hospitals in your country. Perhaps your GP / insurance provider will be able to provide reviews better than me.

Thanks
Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon