Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
199 Doctors are Online

Long fleshy growth on back side of jaw. Could this be cancer?

Apr 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 9349 Questions
I just discovered a long fleshy growth on the back right side of my upper jaw. Could this be a sign of cancer? I am not a smoker and an otherwise healthy.
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 3 hours later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your querry.
Mouth cancers are rare and usually asscoiated with smoking,alcohol and HPV is more common in men+ 55age. Mouth growths are most commonly benign tumours such as traumatic fibroma from sucking tissue through teeth or chewing on your tissue, a lipoma (fat), a fibroma or wart. Cancers are less than 1% of lesions.

SOme signs which can be alarming are fast grow, size >2cm, pain, pus formation, irregular shape and bleeding. If you are not sure about those signs,you should show it to dentist or oral surgeon. It can be easily removed in local anasthaesia and histologicaly analysed after this.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor