What causes a skin tag on the inside of the cheek?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Tue, 30 Aug 2016 in Beauty & Cosmetics
Question: I went to the dentist last week who noticed a skin tag type flap of skin on the inside of my cheek. He asked if I had hurt it I said not that I know of. He said come back in 2 weeks and see if it has healed but I'm now worried waiting 2 weeks as I'm panicking it's mouth cancer. What else could it be and what can I do to try and get rid of it before my appointment.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
A photo of the skin tag type flat of skin in your mouth required

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your medical history carefully and understood your concern.

Can you please send me a photo of the skin tag type flat of skin in your mouth? We can't precipitate into diagnosis without being totally sure, the photo will help a lot.

Thank you.
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 53 minutes later
As you can see the skin tag is at the top i also have a line of skin perling on both sides of my cheeks
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Irritation/traumatic fibroma....benign condition

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Thank you for providing the requested photo.

I have gone through it carefully and my thoughts are possible Irritation fibroma (traumatic fibroma).
This is due to trauma to the affected mucosa, for example accidental biting. This explains why your dentist asked if you remember to have hurt it and asked to come back after 2 weeks to see if any changes.

It is a benign condition, no fear for cancer. Just wait and follow your dentist advice.

Keep good oral hygiene, try to chew up slowly.
Treatment requires excision, however, it all depends on the changes.

I'd ask to discuss with your dentist for oral verruca vulgaris, and if it is the need for biopsy. Once again, they are not malignant, my suggestions are to identify the exact diagnosis.

Try to relax, and wait until you see dentist again.

Hope this answers your questions.
Dr.Albana