Knuckles on hand are turning black and look bruised. Cause and cure?

Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Sun, 6 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Three out of four of the knuckles on my hand (excluding my thumb) are turning black. They looked bruised.
Should I be concerned?
My fingers are not numb. My knuckles are just bruised and I didn't hit anything.
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need some more information on your symptoms.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

I need some more information regarding your ailment to arrive at a possible diagnosis of your condition. Please answer the below mentioned questions.
- Duration of your symptoms
- Both hands involved or only one side
- any history of trauma/injury
- any other systemic diseases you have
- are you a smoker
- is the blackishness present throughout the day or will it wane off during part of the day
- anything that exacerbates or relieves the blackishness in knuckles
- any history of recent intake of medicines for any ailment
- any associated swelling, pain and restriction of movements in the involved knuckle joints
- are skin sensations normal in all your involved finger tips

Follow up: Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 9 hours later
- Duration of symptoms - about 2 days
- Both hands involved or only one side - It is only my left hand
- any history of trauma/injury - No
- any other systemic diseases you have - No
- are you a smoker - Yes
- is the blackishness present throughout the day or will it wane on during part of the day - it starts looking blackish early evening and gets darker thoughout the night
-anything that exacerbates or relieves the blackishness in knuckles - no
- any history of recent intake of medicines for any ailment - no
- any associated swelling, pain, and restriction of movements in the involved knuckle joints - no
- are skin sensations normal in all of you involved finger tips - yes
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to Raynauds Phenomenon.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for getting back with the answers.

Based on the information provided by you, I suspect Raynauds phenomenon as the cause of your symptoms.

- RAYNAUD'S PHENOMENON : This is one of the commonest causes of discolouration (blue,red or white) involving the fingers. This is most commonly seen in WOMEN. This condition is usually triggered by SMOKING, Emotional stress, working with vibrating machinery or Exposure to Cold. The general treatment guidelines for this condition include
* Keeping yourself warm (by wearing gloves)
* Avoding smoking
* Decreasing stress
* Avoiding tight fitting rings or wrist bands.

Hope I have justified your query. Happy to help further.

Good day