question-icon

Is yoga advisable for a patient after a Nissen fundoplication?

Posted on Wed, 12 Oct 2016
Question: Hi I had a second Nissen Fundolication a year ago for a massive PEH. I would like to know if it safe for me to now do moderate yoga, light weight lifting and ab work (crunches) or could such damage/undo my surgery or cause me to reherniate?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant (42 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
As detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
To recapitulate: Female/45 - second Nissen Fundoplication - a year ago for massive PEH - paraesophageal hiatal hernia - wants to know whether it is safe to have moderate yoga, light weight lifting and ab work> crunches - or cause damage/undo surgery/reherniate ?

It take 3 weeks of good healing, 3 months for a great healing and maximum 9 months for remodelling of any wounds in the body.
Since you have been operated a year ago, the healing has already occurred well.
If you are asymptomatic and there is no evidence of any weakness you can certainly get started on the exercises that you have mentioned.
Certainly you have to avoid development of excessive intra-abdominal pressure.
Also take an express opinion of your operating Surgeon and exercise trainer.
Precautions are better be taken as the repair can not replace the natural strength.
Light exercises will not do any damage that you thought of.
Take care, be fit.
I hope this answer helps you in clearing your doubts.
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon