Is treatment for varicocele a possible cure for male infertility?

Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 29 Dec 2016 in Infertility Problem
Question: Hello,

I am XXXXXXX and have been trying since 1.5 yrs for a kid. I have a right ovarian cyst and currently my husband has been diagnosed with grade 2 mild varicocele on both sides. His sperm count and motility has been consistently good at18 mil/ml and 50% motility for . His testosterone is 252 ng/DL. Doctor has given medicines to improve sperm count n motility for 20 days n then to go for an iui. He also advised that if iui does not work then varicocele needs to be corrected through surgery or can directly go for an ivf.

Can varicocele be corrected through medicines?

What are the chances of conception post varicocele repair surgery vs ivf??which would be a better option...please advise.
Answered by Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Surgery is not the only option

Detailed Answer:
Hi
GREETINGS
I have gone through your questions.

Your husband's Semen analysis report seems to be normal .The morphology is not been mentioned. Scan report of grade 2 varicocele is not the only indication for surgery .It has to be clinically present and we need to repeat the semen analysis again from a different lab. Variation in Semen analysis can happen from time to time and from lab to lab.

If he is taking antioxidant ,it has to be continued for 3 months as it takes 80 to 90 days for the sperm to mature enough and come out.

we cannot make out the improvement of medicine in 20 days ,so I suggest you to take antioxidants for 3 months and repeat the semen analysis from a reliable lab .

I suggest him to consult an XXXXXXX and get it evaluated. Also discuss with him about varicocele.
Total testosterone has to be measured with a sampĺe collected before 10am.

I hope my answer helps you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj