Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
168 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Is treatment for varicocele a possible cure for male infertility?

Answered by
Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair


Practicing since :1986

Answered : 1457 Questions

Posted on Thu, 29 Dec 2016 in Infertility Problem
Question: Hello,

I am XXXXXXX and have been trying since 1.5 yrs for a kid. I have a right ovarian cyst and currently my husband has been diagnosed with grade 2 mild varicocele on both sides. His sperm count and motility has been consistently good at18 mil/ml and 50% motility for . His testosterone is 252 ng/DL. Doctor has given medicines to improve sperm count n motility for 20 days n then to go for an iui. He also advised that if iui does not work then varicocele needs to be corrected through surgery or can directly go for an ivf.

Can varicocele be corrected through medicines?

What are the chances of conception post varicocele repair surgery vs ivf??which would be a better option...please advise.
Answered by Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Surgery is not the only option

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your questions.

Your husband's Semen analysis report seems to be normal .The morphology is not been mentioned. Scan report of grade 2 varicocele is not the only indication for surgery .It has to be clinically present and we need to repeat the semen analysis again from a different lab. Variation in Semen analysis can happen from time to time and from lab to lab.

If he is taking antioxidant ,it has to be continued for 3 months as it takes 80 to 90 days for the sperm to mature enough and come out.

we cannot make out the improvement of medicine in 20 days ,so I suggest you to take antioxidants for 3 months and repeat the semen analysis from a reliable lab .

I suggest him to consult an XXXXXXX and get it evaluated. Also discuss with him about varicocele.
Total testosterone has to be measured with a sampĺe collected before 10am.

I hope my answer helps you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

Recent questions on  Ovarian cyst

doctor1 MD

Hi Dr I had my last normal period Dec 9 2013. Then on March 5 2014 I started bleeding again. Heavy clotting and flow for about 13 days. Visited the...

doctor1 MD

i m 46 and trying to conceive. I ve had 3 kids already. Had a HSG and was told right tube is open. Left tube remains confined to the fibril region...

doctor1 MD

i Had positive hpt nausea tired dizzy frequent urination super breast tenderness with some fluid. spotting lmp dec 25 2011 and u/s showed...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I am 25 and have had constant pelvic pain for over 6 weeks. I had an ultrasound which showed an enlarged right ovary with fluid around it. I...

doctor1 MD

My 17 year old daughter has sharp pain on her left side of her abdomen and has thrown up twice. She doesn't have a fever , I'm just curious what...

doctor1 MD

Hello! I am a 61 year old female who is experiencing post-menopausal bleeding four years after menopause . I delivered two babies and then had my...

doctor1 MD

I have pain in my lower abdomen. Usually it is urine track infection. It comes more often. The last time I was at the doctor they did not fine...