Is throbbing pain in chest a symptom of recurring pericarditis?

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 14 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I had an ASD repair and Maze procedure performed 4 months ago. The surgery was a success but within a week I developed Dressler's Syndrome which led to the pericarditis. it took about 8 weeks to improve, finally after one month of steroid use. My problem is that my pulse is still above 100-110 and in the last few days i've experienced the throbbing in my chest just from walking. It makes me anxious and miserable. Is this recurring pericarditis? And is this what I am to expect for the rest of my life--chronic pericarditis??
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following advice

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

First of all tachycardia is a common finding in patients who have done recently cardiac surgery and shouldn't necessary be related to reoccurring pericarditis.

Secondly you should do an ECG and cardiac echo for a proper evaluation and to exclude any problem.

If everything is ok than you shouldn't worry about anything.

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu