Is throbbing in chest a warning sign of heart attack?

General Surgeon
Question
for 4 days now, I have been experiencing a throbbing in the upper center of my chest after eating. thought it was early warning of a heart attack but I have no other symptoms and if i do not eat i have no problems even when doing alot of activity. just got off the treadmill this morning and after 30 min of treadmill, i have no problems or pains. worried that if i eat anything symptoms will return.
Posted Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Acid reflux.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

The symptoms you have had are most likely caused by acid reflux. Due to stomach acid regurgitation to the esophagus and throat, you get burning like pain in the area where esophagus is located. Characteristic for such pain is that it does not radiate to the arm and jaw, no shortness of breath. Nausea can be present or excessive salivating. The pain should go away for a while when drinking clear water.
I suggest you to avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, coffee, chocolate, orange juices.
If this diet wont help, please consult your doctor and have gastroscopy done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Is throbbing in chest a warning sign of heart attack? 2 hours later
I have had acid reflux in the past at night while laying down after a large meal and I was a bit concerned in that this "throbbing" in my chest was very different than the sour acid symptoms that I have experienced in the past with acid reflux.

Also, I failed to explain that while I have NO throbbing while doing activity on an empty stomach, I DO experience the throbbing during activity after eating when the symptoms come on and it goes away when I am at rest. The throbbing seems to increase with my heart rate when I have this happen after a meal. Just wanted to know if this still sounds like a form of acid reflux?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:
From the one side the symptoms are associated with foods intake what makes acid reflux more possible. From the other side the symptoms are connected with heart rythm. Some heart arrhythmia can give noodles like or throbbing like feeling in the throat. This are extra heart beats mostly.
If you find this much different than regular acid reflux, heart should be checked. To do that 24 hours Holters heart monitoring should be done.