Is there any non surgical method to treat hemorrhoids?

Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

Posted on Tue, 15 Jan 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My father is suffering from hemmaroids/ piles which results in occasional bleeding. Since he is 70+ years old , its difficult for him to undergo surgery. Are there non surgical methods of treating piles or curing it completely? atleast to ensure that there is no bleeding ?
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 35 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing in

Considering the age of the patient it is better you get him clinically diagnosed and then decide on treatment

In the mean time :

Though there are no non surgical methods of curing hemorrhoids, there are some conservative methods of controlling the symptoms

1] Ask him not to strain
2] Control constipation
3] Take sitz bath twice a day

Add a good probiotic orally twice a day

Once he is diagnosed to be suffering from hemorrhoids only, there are many minimally invasive and safe options which can be performed on medically compromised patients

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of doubts
Wishing your father a healthy life ahead
Follow up: Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 56 minutes later
Thanks very much for your reply . a couple of follow up questions

1. Are there some effective methods to control constipation as you suggested. anything to be avoided / included in diet or any specific step to be followed ?

2. What is a probiotic ? any specific probiotic you will suggest ?
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 3 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing in again

Add lot of fiber and fluids to daily diet, may be Isapghual powder at bed time

Probiotic is a medicine which provides healthy bacteria for the gut

VSL 3 from sun is one of the good probiotics

If you can drop down to our clinic we can offer a very specific surgery where in he can go home in four to five hours

Hope this helps