Is there any chance of getting STD through oral sex?
Ive heard that getting an std through oral sex without a condom is very difficult
What do you think the chances are , and what are my risks .
Also I ve heard you should change condoms for each act that you do ex : Oral and then vaginal etc. Is changing a condom really necessary realistically speaking ?
Information regarding risk of STD's through Oral sex
Hello. Thank you for writing to us
I have gone through your query and I have understood your concern.
Unprotected receptive oral sex is not completely safe.
STD's like herpes, syphilis, gonorrhea, chlamydia can be passed on to the partner receiving oral sex, if the partner giving oral sex carries infective organisms..
Herpes is known to cause oro-labial herpes and therefore it can be passed on during unprotected receptive oral sex.
Gonorrhea and chlamydia can infect throat mucosa and can therefore be acquired through receptive oral sex.
Syphilis patients can have oral mucosal lesions/ ulcers and therefore can transmit the infection.
HIV is less likely however the presence of oral sores Or breaks in mucosa of the partner giving oral sex increases the chances that some blood would be mixed with oral secretions thus increasing the chances.
The risk of STD's purely through oral sex is difficult to estimate because most individuals who practice Oral sex also practice other forms of sex (i.e either vaginal, anal sex) during the same sexual encounter.
Using a different condom for oral and vaginal sex is not going to make a difference to a male sexual partner, in terms of risk of an STD.
For a female probably there is a small risk of cross infection with herpes virus (from oral to genital mucosa) and vice versa.
Therefore, using a different condom for Oral and vaginal sex actually does not matter.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Chances of contracting std after anal-oral sex
- Chances of transmitting std through oral sex
- Chances of getting std from oral sex
- Any chance of having std from oral sex
- Red spot on penis oral sex no bleeding std
- Sneezing and inflamed throat after oral sex std
- Unprotected oral sex tingling sensation in penis chances of std
- Chances of std from oral
- Can protected oral sex lead to a std
- Sore throat after having oral sex std
- Suggest treatment for thinning of skin
- Is boil inside nose folliculitis a cause for concern?
- What casues allergic skin rash?
- How to diagnose herepes type 2?
- What causes white pimples in vagina?
- Suggest treatment for headache, acne and weight gain
- Suggest treatment for dandruff and red spot on scalp
- What causes non itchy eruption on penis?
- Suggest treatment for itching acne on hand
- Suggest treatment for itching sensation all over body