• question-icon

Is taking Marijuana during radioactive iodine treatment safe?

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: Hi. I am an avid marijuana user. I know I should not use, but do use nightly to sleep and relax for the last 20 years. I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer last summer and had both sides removed. I am currently undergoing a low dose 30mg radioactive iodine treatment. Will the treatment have a different effect if I smoke. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cannabis use

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns.

You are concerned about your daily use of cannabis interfering with your therapy for throat cancer and hypothyroidism. No there is no drug interactions with your current treatment. In fact the cannabis may help with your pain and any side effects from your chemotherapy. So you may continue to use it as you see the need. I would though recommend using a cannabis variety that has a high CBD levels to help with the pain and nausea if it does occur.

I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions
Follow up: Dr. Ronald Schubert 48 minutes later
Thank you Dr for your response. Just to clarify, I took a dosage/pill of radioactive iodine and am going through that treatment. Luckily I do not have to do chemotherapy. Just want to make sure this is ok. I have read that marijuana will not interfere with this treatment, but there are some doctors that are against it. But they also say it's bad for you, so you don't know what the truth is. Thank you again.
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no drug interaction with cannabis and radioactive iodine

Detailed Answer:
Unfortunately most of my medical colleagues are not aware of the drug interactions of cannabis with medications. They also are not at all educated on the medical benefit of cannabis. They are using old wife tales and prejudices to deny the medical use of Cannabis. I am a provider of medical marijuana and know the uses of cannabis and its benefits
Follow up: Dr. Ronald Schubert 28 minutes later
Thank you Dr. Have a good evening.
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your welcome

Detailed Answer:
Your welcome
Dr. Ronald Schubert