Is surgery advisable for a meningioma?

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am a 70 year old woman. A meningioma was discovered on the right side of my frontal lobe in January, 2016. The neurosurgeon said it was the size of a golf ball. A MRI in November, 2016 found that the tumor had grown one sixteenth of an inch. I have not demonstrated any symptoms. According to the neurosurgeon, surgery is the only possible treatment. I am in good health overall. I am concerned about the impact of thr surgery on my recovery especially on my decision making ability and memory. Thank you. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get surgery done

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concern.
Menigioma is a benign tumor and curable by surgery.
The surgical prognosis is excellent and reccurrence is rare.
Timely surgery is advised as it will have minimal side effects.
Progression of tumor leads to behavioral and personality changes, headache, vomiting, seizures altered sensorium and even stroke.
Visit to a good neurosurgery center and get it operated timely.
All will be well.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further information.
Wishing you good health and early recovery.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T