Is riding a stationary bike safe for people with heart disease?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 9 Nov 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Patient is 80 year old male . He had open heart surgery in 2012. He is generally very lazy when it comes to exercise, and never did any workout in life. Before he was somewhat walking in summer but now that it is cold season just begun in New York, USA, he is kind of restricted in house.
My question is I bought a sitting-stationery bike for him at home . Is it ok to bike on it like 10 mins a day or rather walk inside the room and for how long? Just to be in active status at his age.
He is taking almost 10 medications for BP, Heart, prostate etc. But he is clinically ok.
Just wondering will sationary biking may increase chance of heart attack at his age 80? even tho biking is good for health.

Thanks
Mr XXXXXXX
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows :

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that it would be a good idea for keeping on a daily physically sctive profile.

As the patient is in a good clinical condition and on stable vital parameters (heart rate, blood pressure), it would be wise to start a gradually scheduled more intensive physical activity starting with 5 to 10 minutes per day, with a 25 to 50 joules workload and than increasing 25 joules the next week.

Depending on his physical endurance the workload may increase to an average of a 100 joules.

A physical training of 15 to 30 minutes per day would be appropriate for his age.

Hope to have been helpful!

Feel free to ask any other questions whenever you need!

Best wishes,

Dr. Iliri

Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 9 hours later
Please clarify what kind of exercise he can do? can he sit on a stationery bike in the gym? or can just simple walk?

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

As I explained above, he can exert on a treadmill device or on a cycloergometer, which ever is available. You have already bought one at home (sitting-stationery bike).

Applying an escalating load work is recommended.

He can try five to ten minutes the first week on the bike, and then increase by 5 minutes every week.

From a practical view, walking on a treadmill is more physiological and better tolerated.

Other alternatives would be also advisable and appropriate for his age:
-aerobics
-walking in a park (when possible).

Which ever of the above is tried fifteen to thirty of acceptable exercises would be sufficient to keep him active.

Hope to have been helpful!

Greetings!

Dr. Iliri